To obtain a NADL, the law requires that:
- The applicant must be an eligible Veteran.
- The tribal organization or other appropriate Native American group must be participating in the VA direct loan program. The tribal organization must have signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Secretary of Veterans Affairs, that spells out the conditions under which the program will operate on its trust lands.
- Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility.
- The loan must be to purchase, construct, or improve a home on Native American trust land.
- The Veteran must occupy the property as his or her residence.
- The Veteran must be a satisfactory credit risk.
Commissioned Officers of the Public Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration are considered to be active duty members and Veterans, once discharged.
Length-of-service requirements apply, in most cases.
All prospective applicants are encouraged to first contact their local housing authority and VA to discuss their financial situation and obtain a general idea of whether or not they might qualify for a home loan.
For more information please visit the NADL program website.