You are here
Program DescriptionThe Native American Direct Loan (NADL) program makes home loans available to eligible Native American Veterans who wish to purchase, construct, or improve a home on Federal Trust land or to reduce the interest rate.
Veterans who are not Native American, but who are married to a Native American non-Veteran, may be eligible for a direct loan under this program.
General Program RequirementsTo obtain a NADL, the law requires that:
- The applicant must be an eligible Veteran.
- The tribal organization or other appropriate Native American group must be participating in the VA direct loan program. The tribal organization must have signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Secretary of Veterans Affairs, that spells out the conditions under which the program will operate on its trust lands.
- Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility.
- The loan must be to purchase, construct, or improve a home on Native American trust land.
- The Veteran must occupy the property as his or her primary residence.
- The Veteran must be a satisfactory credit risk.
Length-of-service requirements apply, in most cases.
All prospective applicants are encouraged to first contact their local housing authority and VA to discuss their financial situation and obtain a general idea of whether or not they might qualify for a home loan.
For more information please visit the NADL program website.
Your Next StepsThe following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this benefit.
Application ProcessFor more information, see the Program Contact Information below.
Program Contact Information
If you have questions:
- Visit the Inquiry Routing and Information System (IRIS) website to search Frequently Asked Questions or ask a question on-line.
- Please contact a Regional Loan Center if you have detailed questions.
To apply for additional Veterans' benefits and view your benefit status, open an eBenefits Premium account. eBenefits is a one-stop source for information on Department of Defense and Department of Veterans Affairs benefits and services. With a free Premium level eBenefits account, Veterans and Servicemembers can conduct self-service transactions such as checking claim status information, GI Bill enrollment, and obtaining copies of civil service preference letters, DD214, and other personal information. For further information and to register for a free Premium level account, visit the eBenefits website.